It is an archeological sight in a region which had been inhabited for over 1000 years and it is located in the southern-east of the island, in a rock with an altitude of 369 meters of Mesa Vouno, between the today’s settlements of Perisssa and Kamari. The settlement’s position is of strategic significance, and this had been realized by the Spartans residents in the beginning of 8th century B.C. The captain of the residents was Thiras, to whom it owes its today’s official name the island.
For many years the settlement, the city-nation of Thira, was the island’s only urban centre, while after a lot of time there were created six smaller settlements. In Byzantine years was mainly used by the citizens of around places as a shelter against the pirates invasions. This reconstruction of the archeological that lasts a lot of years, has a result the destruction of the older settlements for the erection of new ones and so today, the existed findings are from the Hellenic and Roman era. A lot of the sight’s findings are exhibited in Fira’s Archaeological Museum. The visitor can easily understand the city’s organization and its citizen daily routine.